Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Children in 2010

Well today has been hilarious at times and trying at others- overall i am not sure what will become of us- haha. The kids have been trying to play kickball in a soaking backyard. So needless to say they came in covered in mud. It was hilarious to watch as Walt usually changes the rules of any game to meet his needs, Samuel is an intense competitor and hates to lose and Amelia had no concept of the game and spent most of the time running from base to base in the wrong direction. It was hilarious and they did not appreciate their mother laughing at them. Well then we conquered school- I love that they make amazing books and that I can get them from the library for free. Walt is into reading these stories that are journals written from a 10 year old boys perspective- I love to listen to him laughing as he sits and reads. Samuel is enjoying reading Frog and Toad stories and the same laughter comes from him as he reads about the adventures of the Frog and Toad ( oh when life was simple). Amelia has decided for some reason that reading is a punishment and is always asking when the boys are "having to read". Well tonight I took the kids to swimming and walked in the treadmill while they are working out. Then I decided that we could make a stop at the grocery store and get a few things. Amelia has decided that she should get to pick all the fruit and let us know what daddy would like for vegtables. The boys are all about the free cookies. We get to the check out lane and then they all lost control- Amelia is letting me know that she wants lots of candy, Samuel repeatly asks for a seperate bag for his pack of gum and Walt who is supposed to be unloading the cart is paying no attention to anything but how the guys weighs the fruits and veggies- hence he is halfway leaning on the belt watching. At this point I decide that it is a very good thing that my kids were born when they were- I cannot imagine them having to work in a factory before child labor laws were established- they each get into their own thing and totally forget the world around them. I know that somewhere in the future Walt will be my inventor and that the rest of the things will fall in to place- he spends so much time in his own world looking at how things work and how they could work better, Samuel I know will someday learn to channel this crazy strength and temper in to something that will be amazing like pulling someone out of a burning building, and Amelia will live up to her name as she is a free spirit and will probably not see anything as an obstacle. It is fun to watch them grow and learn and I am glad for the stress of homeschooling because it also allows me the time to see them as God has created them- to see that there is no mold that they fit into- I am glad that they are getting the opportunity to explore, create and make mistakes so that they can become all that God create them to be- is public school tempting- of course- it would be great to had the responsibility over to someone else- but the reality is that as a parent you never are able to do that- you may for a time think that it is possible but it is not. So for the time being we will struggle through the hard times, laugh at the joy they bring and cry when it is all too much. And the next day we will pick up and go on again. Sometimes I wonder what would I do without them- how would I spend my time- is there really any greater thing them to shape and change the minds of those you love the most. And Darcy- well he is a patient man- he knows that I am a strongwilled person and loves me inspite of myself. What more could you ask for then someone who loves you as you are and encourages you to be more- Do we have it all together- no in fact there are days I feel like Paul from the bible and realize the more life I do the more I have no answers- but that is perhaps the best place to be then you can put your faith in only one thing- the heavenly father. It is one of the best gifts that my children have given me is that I am not in charge and that I do not want to be!!!

No comments: