Saturday, November 7, 2009

Changes in Life

Changes are always one of those difficult things. Although looking back I am always wondering why it is so hard to change- because usually the things that you do not want to change need changing. One of the things I have been personally working on is looking more at an eternal perspective in all we do. It is so easy to get caught up in the busyness in life and things that are good but still not having your focus be to do them to the glory of God. Today was Walt and Samuel's first swim meet. I was proud of them for being able to compete at such a young age. I was giving them pointers on how to do different things ( some over the phone as I was home with the younger ones). As I hung up the phone I realized that I needed to pray for them not only to do there best but also no matter the outcome that God would get the glory from their hard work and competing. I found myself praying that they would be gracious in their spirit whether they won or lost. That they would encourage others and think of others. Wow huge change in focus. I feel that I have spent the last 2 years in a fog of a crazy pregnancy, even crazier first year with the twins and now just the plan busyness of 5 young children. It is great to be coming out of that time- to have the energy to focus on the more eternal things. It was wonderful to watch the video of the kids- great to see Samuel who got placed in an older age group win first. And wonderful to see Walt who swam his best and came in 5th be happy for his younger brother and also proud of himself. All those things that you teach and wonder if they will apply when left to their own vices. Overall it has been a wonderful experience to watch them improve, form friendships and grow as people. I am not sure Darcy who had to go straight to working a 12 hour night shift is feeling- but those are the things that you do as a parent. So we head off on another adventure in life trying to teach children things you realize how much you have to learn- I am learning above all what it means to have patience when nothing goes as planned- that a dirty house is not the worst thing that can happen and the true blessings that there are in marriage- to have another person see you as you are and still love you- what amazing things God has given us when we shed all the distractions in life.

No comments: