Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Granny
Growing up I was constantly at my Granny's house. I think that I spent almost every holiday and then some at her and my grandfather's house until I was off at college. Over the years I spent with my grandmother I came to appreciate that we where very different people. I think that almost everything about us is the opposite. As far as grandmother's go I do not think that they are supposed to have a favorite- but truth be told I was not the favorite- I was stuck in the middle of two siblings and three cousins and lets just say I did not stick out with any unusual talent. My granny worked very hard to teach me, my sister and cousin to sew one summer. I tired so quickly of the activity with my cousin following shortly behind- but my sister was able to complete three or four dresses by the end of the summer. She had gained Granny' praise. The great thing about not being in the spotlight is that people let you be who you are- they love on you- praise you but rarely do they try to make you something you are not- i was fortunate enough to be this person. I feel that it allowed me to gain a certian self confidence that has brought me to the place I am today. Self confidence that has allowed me the stand up for the beliefs in God that I hold dear- well back to Granny. Over the past 5 years things in my relationship with my grandmother took a huge turn- somehow on one of our visits we started talking about God and then we realized how much we really had in common. My visits and phone calls since then have been some of the most amazing and inspirational that I have. Now she does get a bit out of control every once in a while- but I am sure that all of us mothers would like our children to act a certian way and that does not change with age. It has been a blessing to come to her with biblical questions but also with prayer requests as I have heard her say a million times- "I may not be able to do anything else but I can pray". Today I got a phone call from my mom stating that Granny had a heart attack this morning- It was such a weird feeling- it was as if i never really thought about her getting sick or dying. She is 82, and stills lives indepedently, gardens, drives etc. I never really thought about all that lay ahead. She has had a difficult life to say the least, grew up during the depression, raised her two younger siblings, lost her husband too early- but still remains steadfast in her love of her creator- she is bold and will ask even the painter if he knows Christ- and the amazing thing is- she asks because she is ready to share the hope that she has- i am fortunate for the time that Christ has given me to see her life and how she has lived it for Christ. My prayer is that she will feel her father near her no matter what twists and turns her life will take.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment